As we went through some of the Parables of Jesus we can see their themes:
- Lost sons – God seeks and saves the lost
- Shrewd manager – Redeem your money for God
- Sower – Is your heart open to God?
- Ten Minas – Christ is coming back, be ready!
- Rich fool – Redeem you time for God
- Vineyard workers – God’s grace not our works
- Pharisee & tax collector – God redeems the humble and resists the proud (He won’t force you into Heaven against your will)
So what would you say is the theme of the Bible in one word? Redemption.
Throughout the Bible we see typology or foreshadow of Christ. Compare the Old Testament to the New Testament.
Passover | Sins passed over
Sacrificial lambs | Lamb of God
Exodus from slavery | From sin
Split rock (Water) | Spiritual rock (Living water)
Tabernacle & temple | Incarnation
Jewish priests | High priest (Heb 7:26-27)
Jewish kings | King of Kings
God’s firstborn Israel | Perfect son
Who were some character types that brought the message of redemption?
OT – Noah, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, David, Jonah, Hosea, Daniel
Joseph – First coming of his brothers he didn’t reveal who he was, the second coming he did and redeemed them from the famine.
Moses – Law on the mountain compared to Jesus – Sermon on the mount (Mt 5:1-2) NIV leaves out “opened His mouth” since in order to speak He would have to, but it is significant compared to God speaking the Commandments in Ex 20:1. The Law & Ten Commandments come from the mouth of God. Jesus is God giving the Law (Beatitudes).
NT – John the Baptist, Jesus, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, etc.
Who is left to bring the message? (2 Cor 5:18-20)
God makes His appeal through us!