Matt 7:24-27, Luke 6:46-49
This parable concludes the Sermon on the Mount. A standard of Christian living and Discipleship.
A parable on the importance of practicing what He just taught.
Who are the characters?
- Wise man – Believer
- Foolish man – Unbeliever
- House – Faith, hope, trust
- Rock – Christ, Word of God
- Foundation – The Cross (1 Cor 3:11)
- Sand – Religion, prosperity, self value
- Storm – Tribulation & persecution, Day of Judgment
v24. Luke says dug deep. Dig deep into the Word. Acts – obeys.
v26. Doesn’t obey the Word. Outwardly the houses looked the same.
v27. When the builder needed it most, to be a shelter of refuge, the house fell and he had no benefit in it. It let him down like material and temporal things in this world. (Gal 6:14) Solid foundation, not the house that keeps it from falling.
What human beliefs are shattered?
- Not an outward profession of religion that gets you into Heaven
- Storms come to believers and unbelievers
What divine wisdom is revealed?
- Christ is the only way to the Father and the obedience of faith is our only way to Christ (Gal 1:8-9)
- If our faith is not grounded on Christ and Him crucified, we will fall during struggles and sufferings
- Hearing and knowing God’s will is not enough (Ez 33:31)
- We must be doers of the Word so we will be blessed in our deed. Obedience takes action (Lk 11:28, Jn 13:17)