Mt 13:24-30, 36-43
v36. Many went away without understanding, only hearing words. How many churchgoers drive home on Sunday not understanding the sermon? Jesus explained the parable only to the disciples. Maybe we too should have discourse after hearing a sermon.
Who do the characters represent?
- Wealthy landowner – God, Jesus
- Field – World
- Good seed – Word of God
- Bad seed – Lies, deception
- Slaves – Church
- Wheat – Believers
- Tares – Unbelievers
- Enemy – Satan
- Reapers – Angels
v25. Sleeping – Pastors through preaching should have prevented this mischief, but the responsibility doesn’t stop there. Christians need to be sober and vigilant. (1 Pet 5:8) When good seed is sown it needs to be tended, watered, and protected. (Eph 2:2) Bad seed.
v26. Evident (2 Cor 11:13-15) Hurt the believers by temptation and persecution.
v28. They are over zealous. Don’t be quick to think that someone is beyond grace.
v29. Is isn’t possible to visually judge the heart. (2 Tim 2:25) Have patience with them. Instruct them with meekness and show grace. Be careful not to damage true believers along the way.
v30. Grow together. (Jn 17:15)
What human beliefs are shattered?
- Some of the greatest deceivers look like believers
- Final judgment is coming and God is the judge
What divine wisdom is revealed?
- Don’t get your roots intertwined with the world
- Everyone deserves mercy and grace only because of what Christ did on the cross
- Ultimately we will be separated (Made Holy)